Subject: Re: Off Topic: Disney's CAPS
From: Lessingham <[email-masked]>
To: Brian Leach <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 1995 06:11:06 -0400 (EDT)

There was an article on Disney's CAPS in Computer Graphics World 3-5 
months ago.

I'd hazard a guess that they let the public have a look at it, rather 
than having released it to the public.  There was a demonstration of it a 
week or two ago on one of the networks doing a special on Disney (i.e. 
Pocohontas hype) in which they showed how it was used.

The system (and it is a SYSTEM) was co-developed with Pixar and is 
immensely powerful. They've probably got more CPU's networked than the 
grand total of everyone on this group.  They also have enough RAM to hold 
the entire movie at film resolution, it's in the hundreds of GB.  The 
software itself is probably worth $10 million and the system required to 
run it would cost at least that much.

Perhaps they've come up with some commercial software based on things 
they've learned with CAPS.  I haven't heard one way or the other.  Where 
did you hear what you heard?

  Abe Lewis
  Jupiter, Florida
  [email-masked]

  **********************************************************************
  | The big problem with free association is that the bills never come |
  |     in to let you know where the heck you've been all month.       |
  **********************************************************************

On Sun, 25 Jun 1995, Brian Leach wrote:

> I know thie is off topic but - Anyone know where I can find some information
> of Disney's CAPS animation software? If I'm not mistaken they just released
> it to the public. Any info or pointers would help a lot! Thanks!
> 
> -Brian Leach, [email-masked]
> -Digital Illusions, http://www.mcs.com/~bcleach/illusions/ - "The Magazine"
> 
> --
> For Subscribe/Unsubsribe, send mail to [email-masked]
> 
--
Lessingham <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]